Friday, March 03, 2006

Ah, the past

I'm certain that some people would belittle me about my musical preferences.....

silent waiting for Phil, Brian, or someone to jump into the void

I think I can probably find something on my iPod that will appeal to anyone I might meet. I like a lot of different music. Sometimes, though, I question my past....and especially Prudence's.

I had a fun blast from the ugly, ugly past today. My wife received, in the mail, MONSTER BALLADS. This is, literally, some of the classic (?) worst from the hair bands of the 80's. The sad thing is that I know all the words to many of these awful songs. It's a mixed blessing (or just a curse) that I have an uncanny knack for memorizing lyrics. These particularly meaningful songs are the things that we'll sing at the top of our lungs and embarrass the hell out of young Katherine. It's amazing how some of those things never leave your mind....no matter how hard you try. I have a feeling that I'm going to be hearing a lot of "When the Children Cry" and "Is this Love" over the next few days. I'll be able to relive those awkward moments, standing on the sidelines of middle school dances in a leather jacket and a mullet........

(If this were a podcast....we'd fade out to the chorus of 'Carrie' by Europe....yes...it's on there.)

On the plus side, I've found some good new music (new to me anyway) over the past few weeks as Phil, Brian, Ann and I explore each other's music and I spend some iTunes gift cards....Current listening:



I really, really dig this album. It took a while to grow on me, but I really like it. I was never a fan of Belle and Sebastian, but I like Lanegan's stuff. The blend of their two extreme voices is pretty interesting.

Annie Lennox does poppy covers of a bunch of different tunes. I've enjoyed listening to this at work. Nothing ground-breaking, but some different arrangements of some good songs.

I just picked this up today at Phil's insistence. Phil's only steered me wrong once before on music, so we'll see how it goes. I dig it so far.

Thanks to Ann (Medusa) and Phil for the recommendations.

Wish me luck with the endless stream of Ballads that I'll hear over the next few weeks.....I only really question one of this Monster Melange....how did 'Only Time will Tell' by Nelson make the mix????

1 Comments:

At 3:30 PM, Blogger Phil Rossi said...

You'll have to give Dust another chance sometime.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home